we can never reach the level of perfection that God would need for us to have to allow us into heaven.
Does this sound cruel?
God's reasoning for this is not cruel at all.
Let take a look at the truth of this claim that Jesus needed to die in our place so that we could be made right with God.
1. God tells us in His Word that His Son, Jesus Christ, had to die for our sins:
(1 Corinthians 15:3b-4) "Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures”
2. God also tells us through His written testimony of His Son that Jesus was sinless -
(2 Corinthians 5:21) "For God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin, so that we could be made right with God through Christ."
3. God created earth and humans perfectly, but shortly after creation, Adam and Eve were led into the temptation by Satan and disobeyed God. Ever since Adam’s sin, sin has infected the human race like a destructive cancer. Each person is guilty:
(Romans 3:23) “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”
4. Since God is altogether holy, sacred, set apart or separate from His creation. God is totally different from us as He is spirit and He is the standard of perfection and goodness. Therefore He sets the standard and because He is holy- there is no sin found in Him.
(John 4:24) "God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”
(1 Samuel 2:2) “There is no one holy like the Lord; there is no one besides you; there is no Rock like our God.
When you hear people say, "God is love," or "God is good," you have to understand what those words mean. If God is love and if He is truly good, than He must punish sin, otherwise He would be cruel and evil.
A judge who let's abusers, rapists, liars and swindlers off the hook is not a good judge- he is an evil or crooked judge. Likewise, God is the ultimate judge and He will not overlook sin. Those who choose reject God's love, goodness, and the grace offered to us by way of His Son's death, will pay for their sin by suffering eternal death in hell:
This is why Jesus had to die. On the cross, Jesus took upon Himself the punishment of our sin and upon His death, He cried out, “It is finished”(John 19:30b) . Jesus finished paying the punishment for sin as the perfect Lamb of God.
5. God tells us that,
(Romans 5:6-8) "While we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will hardly die for a righteous man; though perhaps for the good man someone would dare even to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."
Jesus had to die because He is the only perfect human to provide the only way to eternal life. Jesus is eternally one with God, so God the Father sent His Son to earth.
(John 3:16) "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
Jesus was born in human flesh to a virgin named Mary and God tells us again in
(Matthew 17:5)"...a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!”
John the Baptist also tells us of His experience with seeing Jesus,
(John 1:29) "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!
If God has been nudging at your heart while you have been reading this, or maybe He has been nudging you to consider Jesus and what He has done for you already and that is what led you here.
Here are next steps you need to take to make that relationship with God complete and start experiencing the freedom and love that comes in a relationship with Christ.
The Romans Road to Salvation Meaning:
All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23).
The wages of sin is [eternal] death (Romans 6:23).
The free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord (Romans 6:23b).
Confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead (Romans 10:9).
If you have never understood how to become a follower of Christ verses just being religious or spiritual or attending church, today would be a great day for you to begin that relationship with Jesus -
It's quite simple - have a conversation with God - about the 4 steps above.
There is no magical prayer - just these A.C.T.S of the Romans Road
1. Acknowledgement of you are a sinner and in need of the saving work of Jesus
2. Confessing that Jesus is Lord like Romans tells you
3. Thanking Christ for His death and resurrection on your behalf so that you can be in a right relationship with God the Father
4. Seek Him daily through His word and prayer and getting involved in a bible preaching church and community of Christ followers who will encourage you, pray for you, and walk this journey alongside you